How does a major player increase an already loyal following?
Pirelli, an Italian automotive brand, has been creating world-renowned tires since 1922. Pirelli’s goal was to grow an already loyal following in the United States. To do this, they looked to leverage their premium heritage to craft a world-class campaign.
Using the launch of their newest product, the P Zero All Season Plus tire, Pirelli sought to create something unique, interactive, and as premium as would be expected of the storied brand.
Moving away from digital planning that was largely built around basic display and search campaigns, the goal became tailored engagement. It became essential to isolate the target market and speak to them on a deeper level, while minimizing media spill. As this is a common marketing challenge in the auto industry, Major Tom stepped in to craft a cleaner and more multifaceted strategy.
Grow Pirelli's loyal following in the US
Focus in on a specific US-only target market only
Creating a multifaceted approach and steering it to success
Crafting a clean, multifaceted strategy led us to heavily employ social media. Using Facebook and Twitter as our focal points, we:
- Constantly tested new audience segments with a large array of ad sets, resulting in a sect of the best-performing creative and ad copy.
- Continuously updated 25 unique ad sets to reflect user engagement, campaign messaging, and new Pirelli activities during the campaign.
- Created a Twitter account for Pirelli, then coordinated Highway Zero promotions with organic, engaging content. We gained 8,500 followers.
- Further established Pirelli’s positive engagement by developing the philanthropic #HealthierMan campaign. Pirelli encouraged their followers to use the hashtag and discuss how they’re living a healthy lifestyle. At the end of the campaign, Pirelli donated $10,000 to the Men’s Health Network.
Pirelli provided granular research on their target market; we knew video advertising was a great point of entry with their audience. We implemented this knowledge by:
- Running pre-roll ads on YouTube, with creative content to engage users to keep watching.
- Using TubeMogul’s RTB technology to manage video advertising initiatives and gain brand metrics.
- Performing granular user targeting on these channels through categories like geography, language, topics, and interests.
We contacted trusted key players in the automotive industry to make Pirelli a part of their social presence. Their audiences were a key target market for Pirelli’s P Zero tires. The Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) spread their support through:
- Sponsored posts.
- Full TV-quality Pirelli product reviews on YouTube.
- Encouraging engagement between their fan base and Pirelli through replies, retweets, and links posted.
+ 1 Million